Best Scalloped Potatoes – Creamy, Cheesy, and Irresistibly Delicious!
Scalloped potatoes are the epitome of comfort food. Creamy, cheesy, and layered to perfection, this dish is a crowd-pleaser and a must-have at family gatherings or holiday feasts. Whether you’re looking for a side dish to accompany your main course or a comforting meal on its own, our recipe for the Best Scalloped Potatoes will leave your taste buds singing and your guests asking for seconds.
For the Scalloped Potatoes:
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 1/8 inch thick)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika (optional)
Prepping the Potatoes:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Stir in the flour and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the mixture turns a light golden color. This creates a roux that will help thicken the sauce.
- Slowly pour in the heavy cream and chicken or vegetable broth while whisking continuously. Continue whisking until the mixture thickens, which should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in half of the shredded cheddar cheese. Season the mixture with salt, black pepper, and dried thyme (if using). The sauce should be creamy and well-seasoned.
Layering the Scalloped Potatoes:
- Arrange a layer of thinly sliced potatoes at the bottom of the greased baking dish. Add a layer of thinly sliced onions and a drizzle of the creamy sauce.
- Repeat the layers until you’ve used all the potatoes and onions. Pour the remaining creamy sauce evenly over the top layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top and dust the surface with paprika for a touch of color and flavor (if desired).
Baking and Serving:
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place it in the preheated oven. Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, and the top is golden brown and bubbling.
- Let the Scalloped Potatoes rest for a few minutes before serving to allow the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Potato Thickness: It’s essential to slice the potatoes thinly and uniformly for even cooking. You can use a mandoline slicer or a sharp knife for this task.
- Cheese Variations: While sharp cheddar cheese is a classic choice, you can get creative with other cheese varieties like Gruyère, Swiss, or a mix of your favorites.
- Thyme and Paprika: Dried thyme and paprika add a subtle depth of flavor and visual appeal, but you can omit them if you prefer a simpler dish.
- Make It Ahead: You can prepare the Scalloped Potatoes up to a day in advance. Just cover and refrigerate before baking. Extend the baking time slightly to ensure they are heated through.
- Leftovers: Scalloped Potatoes make for delicious leftovers. Reheat them in the oven or microwave.
- Serving: These potatoes are perfect alongside a roast, ham, or as a side dish for special occasions. They can also shine as a comforting main course with a side salad.
There’s nothing quite like the creamy, cheesy goodness of Scalloped Potatoes to elevate any meal. Whether you’re making it for a holiday feast or a weeknight dinner, this recipe will leave everyone at the table asking for seconds. Enjoy your warm, comforting, and utterly delicious creation! 🥔🧀🍽️
Credit: Easy Instant Recipes