Cheesesteaks and eggrolls? At first glance, they may seem like two culinary worlds apart. But what happens when these two worlds collide? Magic. The deliciously cheesy filling of a Philly cheesesteak wrapped in a crisp eggroll shell is the stuff of dreams. In this post, I’m going to share with you the definitive recipe for Cheesesteak Eggrolls that not only taste divine but also adhere to the tenets of a great user experience. Ready? Let’s dive in!
Cheesesteak Eggrolls Recipe
- ½ pound thinly sliced ribeye steak
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese (or cheese whiz for an authentic touch!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 eggroll wrappers
- 2 tablespoons of oil (for sautéing)
- Oil for frying (canola or vegetable)
- Optional: ketchup or marinara sauce for dipping
- Prepare the Filling: Begin by heating up a skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the 2 tablespoons of oil. Toss in the diced onions and bell peppers, sautéing until they are translucent and slightly caramelized.
- Cook the Steak: Add the thinly sliced ribeye steak to the skillet. Season it with salt and pepper. Cook until it’s browned and slightly crispy on the edges. This usually takes about 3-5 minutes. Pro-tip: Thin slices are crucial for a melt-in-your-mouth experience.
- Cheese It Up: Reduce the heat to low and sprinkle the shredded provolone cheese over the steak mixture. Let it melt and combine it with the steak, onions, and peppers.
- Roll ‘Em Up: Lay out the eggroll wrappers on a flat surface. Scoop a generous amount of the cheesesteak mixture onto the center of each wrapper. Tightly roll the wrappers, folding in the sides as you go. Make sure they are sealed well to prevent any leaks during frying.
- Fry to Perfection: In a deep fryer or large pot, heat the frying oil to 350°F (175°C). Once hot, carefully drop in the eggrolls. Fry them until they’re golden brown and crispy, which typically takes about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy: Remove the eggrolls from the oil and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil. Allow them to cool for a couple of minutes before diving in. Pair with ketchup or marinara sauce for a tangy touch!
The Secrets Behind Perfect Cheesesteak Eggrolls
The magic behind these Cheesesteak Eggrolls lies in a few key secrets:
- Quality Meat: Always opt for thinly sliced ribeye steak for a tender and flavorful experience.
- Cheese Choices: Provolone or Cheese Whiz? Both can work, but provolone gives a classic, slightly smoky flavor, while Cheese Whiz adds an authentic touch.
- Wrapper Technique: A tight wrap ensures the filling stays in place and gives that perfect crunch with each bite.
- Frying Temperature: Maintaining a consistent oil temperature of 350°F (175°C) is crucial for a crispy exterior and well-cooked interior.
- Seasoning: The right amount of salt and pepper brings out the flavors without overwhelming them.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can I use chicken instead of steak? Yes, you can, but that would make it a chicken cheesesteak eggroll, altering the traditional flavor.
- Can I bake these instead of frying? Baking is possible, but it won’t yield the same crispy texture. If you’re going for a lighter option, preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- How long can I store these eggrolls? Cheesesteak Eggrolls are best enjoyed fresh. However, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in an oven for the best results.
- What dipping sauces can I use? Ketchup, marinara, and even a creamy cheese sauce work well as dipping options.
- Appetizer Platter: Pair the eggrolls with a side of buffalo wings and mozzarella sticks for a full-on appetizer spread.
- Asian Fusion: Offer some soy sauce and wasabi for an Asian twist.
- The Philly Way: Serve with a side of extra Cheese Whiz or provolone dip to double up on the cheesiness.
- Drink Pairings: A cold beer or a crisp soda would perfectly complement the rich flavors.
Cheesesteak Eggrolls offer an explosion of flavors and textures that few other dishes can match. Whether you’re hosting a party or just treating yourself, this fusion dish will certainly be a hit. Don’t forget to pair them with a cold drink and maybe even some crispy fries for the ultimate treat.